Outdoor Learning Center
- Adam Hendrickson
APS's ADA Construction Manager
Working At The Outdoor Learning Center Site Near The Observatory
Mr. Adam explains what needs to be done to make the observatory's entrance ADA compliant.
Lyla & Elowen mark the south-west corner of the ADA compliant platform.
Taping Off a Section
Foster tapes off where the ADA ramp may go with the help of Mrs. Gillett, Kate, Lyla, and Maggie.
Maggie and Elowen work with Mrs. Gallegos to measure for the ADA ramp.
Sister & Brother Team
Kate and Foster begin to tape off the ADA sections: platform, ramp, and sitting area.
The Learning Center Team
Students discuss the considerations and options for ADA-compliant outdoor seating with Mr. Adam and Mrs. Gallegos.
FTPPO Student Committee
34 students in grades Kindergarten - 5th participated in this committee! They worked in teams of 4 with a student leader. So far, they have:
- Visited the outdoor planters
- Learned about perennials vs annual, native vs exotic, and the many ways native perennials help the local fauna
- Researched wildflowers in a variety of books
- Wrote information on a chart with names and STEM connections
- Confirmed Plants of the Southwest sell the wildflowers in either plants or seeds
- Share their findings with other teams
- Completed Field Work at Plants of the Southwest- purchased native, perennial wildflowers to plant in the planters
- Planted & watered the wildflowers in fourof the planters and in the Children's Garden!
- Kindergarteners:Elizabeth, Kai,Jameson,Eli,Sydney,Audrey, Miles
- 1st Graders:Josephine,Mark, Theo,Lucy
- 2nd Graders:Elowen,Miles, Camila,Jasper,Maggie,plus one more
- 3rd Graders:Lyla,Maeve,Elijah, Aaliyah
- 4th Graders:Mila,Toula,Jens
- 5th Graders:Jordan,Jackson, Tessa,Eli,Rachael,Brooke,Katy, plus one more